Choosing a good fire pit insert is extremely important. Also known as fire pit ring insert, helps to customize the fire pit area as far as your outdoors are concerned. It is mostly placed on the mouth of a brick fire pit or stone fire pit.
The objective is to form a barrier between the fire and stone or brick pit and the masonry work done on and around the pit. It also protects the various adhesive elements that hold the fire pit in place.
They are an integral part of any fire pit, and therefore we must know the right attributes about them before buying one.
In a hurry? Our top pick is the Sunnydaze Fire Pit Ring / Liner
While many makes and models of fire pit inserts, our top pick is the Sunnydaze Fire Pit Ring/Liner. It features heavy-duty construction that works both as a fire-pit liner and above ground fire pit ring for your backyard. Made with 2 mm thick steel metal and finished with high-temperature paint to ensure long-lasting durability.
10 Best Fire Pit Ring Inserts, Burner Rings, and Grates
1. Sunnydaze Fire Pit Ring/Liner
This fire pit insert ring from Sunnydaze is quite popular, both in terms of price and features. It is a good value. Made with heavy-duty steel and finished in high-temperature paint to protect it from fire and the elements. Comes in 30 inches, 36 inches, and 39-inch diameter.
- Comes in 30, 36, and 39-inch Diameters
- Note: does not come with a bottom screen
- Easy to assemble with 4 sections
- Long-lasting matte black finish
- Capable of withstanding high temperature
- Can be used as a liner or above-ground as a fire pit ring
- Made from heat resistant and heavy-duty 22 mm steel.
- Comes in four pieces for easy assembly
- Can be used as a liner and above ground as a fire ring
- Heavy-duty 22 mm steel with a high-temperature mat black finish
- Reasonably priced and good value for money
- Perfect for a small yard
- Does not come with a bottom screen
- Any chipped paint could lead to rust
2. MTB 36 inch Wildlife Fire Pit Ring
This is a beautiful looking 36 inches wildfire fire pit that stands tall at 12 inches. It is quite popular because of nature-inspired designs on the outside screen. It helps in containing small and large fires. Here are some interesting features of this fire pit ring.
- Portable 6 piece construction
- Works to contain large and small fires
- Made from durable steel metal
- Painted in black. Paint capable of withstanding high temperature
- Unique wildlife designs and artworks.
- Comes with a wrench and screws.
- 36 wide inch ring and 25.4-inch height.
- Looks attractive and ergonomic in design
- Merges perfectly with the outdoor environment
- Easy to assemble
- Portable- Comes in six pieces
- Durable steel material construction
- Long-lasting and value for money
- Can not be used as a fire pit liner
- Does not have a bottom screen
If you are looking for a stylish and performing fire pit ring, this could be a good choice.
3. Stanbroil Fire Pit Burner Ring 18 inches
This 18” stainless steel fire pit burner is a low maintenance option to use fire glass or lava rocks to create a stylish backyard fire pit.
- It has a dimension of 18 inches
- Is compatible with a 25-inch pan.
- It is made from high-quality #304-grade stainless steel material.
- Produces a good looking, flickering flame
- 18 Inch burner is suitable for small fire pits
- Suitable for pans that work on propane.
- Easy to handle.
- Tough material, corrosion, and rust-free
- Value for money
- The insert might warp a little if not fastened to a base
It is an effective fire pit ring insert that works well with propane-based pits.
4. Only Fire Burner Ring 30 inches
This durable and strong steel burner ring is perfect for larger fire pits that use propane. 30-inch diameter, triple ring crates multiple flames. Add fire rocks or fire glass for a relaxing fire with no cleanup.
- It has a diameter of 18 inches
- Is compatible with a 25-inch pan
- It is made from high-quality #304-grade stainless steel
- Suitable for propane fire pits
- Suitable for pans that work on propane
- Tough material, corrosion, and rust-free
- Great for larger fire pits
- Triple ring tubing allows for more flames
- For propane, an air mixer valve must be installed
5. PD Metals Fire Ring Insert
If you are looking for a basic fire pit ring insert that delivers on its promise, this is a great choice. This may not look stylish, but it certainly offers a large 48 diameter that is perfect for large fire pits.
- Solid construction.
- Weight 56 pounds
- Large-sized with a diameter of 48 inches diameter and 12 inches in height.
- Heavy gauge steel
- It is a heavy-duty metal fire ring insert
- Extremely durable
- Made from high-quality steel and iron combination
- Good value for money
- Heavy for transportation
- Comes unpainted
If you are planning a big get-together with dozens of guests and are looking for the best fire pit ring inserts that are big in size and solid in construction, then you need not look any further.
6. Pleasant Hearth Steel Fire Pit Grate
Pleasant Hearth has been around for many years now and has won the trust and confidence of people looking for simple and practical solutions. If you belong to this category of customers, then you may have reasons to consider this fire pit grate. The Steel fire pit grate helps oxygen flow around and through the wood for an even burn.
- Comes with a total dimension of 24 x 24 x 7.33 (Length, Width, Height) – Inches
- Made from high-quality steel
- It helps to keep firewood off the ground
- It ensures better air circulation
- A no-frill but a complete solution
- Has a standard size of 24 inches x 24 inches x 7.33 inches
- Excellent value for money
- allows air circulation
- Keeps firewood off the ground
- Could come in handy during damp and rainy seasons
- Built to last and be durable
- Might rust after prolonged use
7. Celestial Fire Glass Burner Ring
Are you looking for bold and concentrated flames from your fire pit? If yes, this fire pit accessory is the one. It comes with an adjustable regulator that allows you to adjust the flame size.
- Adjustable flame size from small to large
- The flame pattern will also be uniform
- Made from high-quality #304 stainless steel
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- The weatherproof coating is available
- Dimension of 12.7 x 12.6 x 1.4 inches
- Weighs around 1.94 pounds
- 12 inches diameter
- Rated for 92000 BTUs, which is quite sufficient
- Easily portable and movable
- Stainless Steel construction
- Does not give out any hissing or whistling sounds
- Can be used for existing and new fire pits
- Comes with Allen Wrench and 1/2 inch inlet plug
- On the whole excellent value for money
- Will require an Air Mixture Valve and Propane Adjustable regulator
A great overall product that will produce an adjustable flame in your propane fire pit.
8. Pilot Rock Campfire Ring
Pilot Rock for years, has been able to win the confidence and trust of customers when it comes to stylish, quality, and high-performance fire pits and other accessories. We also have found quite a few things quite useful as far as this product is concerned. Let’s look at some of the most important features.
- This model number IO-30/8 comes with an overall diameter of 37 inches
- It can be used as landscaping bricks or sandstone insert
- 12 gauge steel construction
- Can be bolted to the fire pit quite easily using bolts
- Comes with a large flange, suitable for keeping accessories
- Suitable for fire pits with an inside diameter of 30 to 35 inches
- Easy and quick option to enjoy campfires
- Is suitable both for home and also for camping
- Quality is top class because it is as per US Forest Guard specifications
- It has been built to last
- Can be used for wood, and other common types of fires
- Excellent value for money
- Looks great in its black color
This is an above-average fire pit ring insert that is good enough for both home use and outdoor campsite use. It is not very expensive, and therefore we believe that it could offer excellent value for money.
9. Only Fire Pit Ring Insert
It is considered to be a versatile fire pit ring insert with some interesting features. The Fire Pit ring allows oxygen to flow throughout the wood and even fire. The large diameter allows more wood to create a larger flame.
- It is one of the few ring inserts that sit three inches from the ground
- Suitable for a variety of stand-alone or built fire pits
- Comes with 4 detachable legs
- The body is made from quality steel
- Rust and corrosion-resistant coating
- Paint capable of withstanding high temperature
- Nice looking
- Good value for money
- Durable and long-lasting
- Can withstand high temperature
- The 4 detachable legs are a big takeaway
- Sagging and warping have been reported
On the whole, it is a versatile and good looking fire pit ring that can come in handy for outdoor use. It has been proven with a good track record.
10. Fire Ring King Fire Ring
It is another quality accessory for fire pits from Fire Ring King. The fire pit ring insert has an overall size of 24 inches (diameter). Here are the main features
- Perfect for cooking elaborate meals.
- Also good enough for enjoying a fireside outing
- Suitable for hunting, fishing, camping, and other outdoor activities
- Made from high-quality material
- Weighs 30 pounds
- Overall dimensions are 36 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches.
- Excellent for outdoor use
- Long-lasting and durable
- No fear of corrosion or rusting
- Quality material
- Come with removable swing grates.
- Not many reviews
We have no reasons to believe that it will not be long-lasting and durable. It also looks quite good and ergonomically designed.
Which is The Best Fire Pit Ring Insert Ring?
We believe that we have given our readers a reasonably good understanding of the various features of different makes and models of fire pit rings and other accessories, including fire pits.
Each of the above fire pit rings is unique and different in their own ways. They have special features and cater to different sections of society. Yes, each of the brands has some downsides, and the customers are the best to judge, which is the best for them, taking into account their needs and requirements.
However, based on our experience and expertise, we have reasons to believe that Sunnydaze Fire Pit Ring/Liner is the best. It is perfectly sized and is suitable for different types of backyard fire pits. It is portable, and the material is quite durable and strong. Further, it also is rustproof and corrosion-proof.
It also is reasonably priced and compares extremely well with other such brands and makes. Though there could be other stylish and modern looking fire pit rings, you can be sure that this could be one of the best choices when it comes to performance and value for money.
Fire Pit FAQs
What Should I Line The Bottom Of My Fire Pit With?
Layer the bottom with sand and ensure that it is tamped till it becomes level and even. In case you do not have sand, you also could gravel. Many people also line it with dirt, which also works well. Lava rocks could be another good option. There are also special fire pit glasses available that could help in absorbing quite a bit of heat.
Do I Need A Fire Ring For My Fire Pit?
There are a few things to keep in mind when answering the question as to whether you need a fire ring for your fire pit. If your pit is for temporary or even semi-permanent use, then a fire pit ring may not be needed. However, we recommend that you make use of a fire pit ring because of some obvious reasons.
It will help ensure the fire pit’s structural integrity and the surface on which the fire pit sits. It also will protect the long term appearance. Most importantly, you need a fire ring pit to protect the sides of your fire pit from damages caused by heat, temperature, and other such things. It also enhances the durability of steel, copper, and other such pits and prevents them from corrosion and other such natural elements.
Can I Use Mulch Around My Fire Pit?
When we talk about mulches that are used to light fire pits, there are many options available. Some of the most common materials used are oat straw, cocoa bean shells, shredded hardwood, shredded pine bark, nuggets made from pine barks, and pine needles rubber tires that are ground finely.
There is not anything wrong with making use of mulch to start the fire pit flames. However, some safety factors should be taken into account. It would also depend on the type of firewood or material that you would be using in the fire pit.
You should have no problems if you are using a gas-based fire pit because the gas will light on its own with the help of a lighter. However, mulch is needed for other conventional fossil fuels like firewood, leaves, stems, dried wood, and even charcoal.
When it comes to safety, we think that ground brick chips are the best. Though they may take some to catch fire, they will not cause rapid fire spread and safety concerns.
What is a Good Diameter for A Fire Pit?
If you ask any expert, we are sure that they will recommend that fire pits should be between 36 and 44 inches. This is as far as the inside diameter is concerned. This is considered the optimal size because it can create the right room for healthy fire and, at the same time, provide enough room to the gatherers so that they can stay close to it and enjoy the warmth emanating from the pit.
Choosing the right fire pit ring inserts is not easy, and it calls for reasonably good information and knowledge. It would be better to gather the right knowledge and information before you spend money on it. Always look for branded fire pit ring inserts, and do not compromise on quality just because you may end up saving a few dollars. It is perfectly sized and is suitable for different types of families. It is portable, and the material is quite durable and strong.
Further, it also is rustproof and corrosion-proof. It also is reasonably priced and compares extremely well with other such brands and makes. Though there could be other stylish and modern looking fire pit rings, you can be sure that this could be one of the best choices for performance and value for money.